Saturday, September 25, 2010

the tunnel

You know the funny feeling you get when you walk into a tunnel where you can't see through to the other side? I have driven through many on the TransCanada Highway - one way tunnels with no lights. It leaves you a bit tentative because you feel like it may never end or that you may even get trapped, never reaching the end. I think this is what it feels like when one feels caught in an inescapable situation and cannot see their way to resolve. 
In many ways, driving through that tunnel can parallel life's situations. I know many times I have felt trapped in a tunnel with no exit. Everything looks simple enough. The road is paved. The walls are solid. Nothing untowardly. However there isn't a light to guide my way. And eventually, I feel lost in the forward momentum - never sure if I'll ever reach the end. But I know, from previous experience, I always get there. And I have always arrived safely and securely, braver and with more confidence than I had before I entered. 
I try to tell myself that in life, everything has a purpose. People come into our lives all for unique reasons. Each to reveal some new and special layer of ourselves that we may have never explored before. Sometimes it forces us to look closely at what we have and challenge our beliefs of what we think we want or need to be happy. Often our personal relationships can lead us to examine every little piece of our life if we allow it. And maybe if we listen, we may capture something new that we really do need that we have dismissed for a long time. Of course, there is the piece about creating balance. About doing things respectfully and paving the road to allow for change so that it happens in a way that honors relationships respectfully and one that maintains peace and harmony in all of the relationships we cherish.
All we have in life is time. Time to move at a pace that feels safe. You set the speed limit on cruise, and you move through the tunnel feeling safe knowing that the ultimate purpose is to end up on the other side alright. And you really should try to enjoy the ride. You take in each little beautiful part of the ever moving journey. Something new revealed each time the tire rotates. And you savor each moment because it leads you closer and closer to that light. The light of clarity, new discovery and focused vision.
Your patience is rewarded when you cross the road seal to the pavement connecting the end. And the excitement of new life is revealed to you brighter than you ever imagined. You have finally reached the all knowing end and everything becomes crystal clear. You've completed another difficult challenge in life and you've grown. 
However, it is more about enjoying the journey. If you can find a way to do that, then how could you not live in constant joy each and every day? So sit back and enjoy the ride. In the end, life is well worth it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember driving in NYC using a GPS. The gal's voice was telling me every turn to take so I was sure to get lost. Then we entered a long tunnel. Signal lost. No voice. No guidance. I knew we were going to have to make a quick decision as soon as we left the tunnel because there would be a fork in the road. I mean quick. I could see the visual on the GPS, my passenger was young and not any help, cars were all around us. So we came out of the tunnel. The GPS came back to life, I had 100 feet to make a decision so I almost came to a complete stop. Damn all those NYC drivers. I had PA plates anyway. I looked at the signs, made the right choice and moved on, ignoring the GPS and all the pissed off drivers, while my passenger was hiding under her seat. The point is, you can cruise through a tunnel where you have no choices, thinking all the while about what you're going to do when you get to the sunlight on the other side, but you are going to have to make a decision one way or another once your tires hit that road seal. I was supposed to have help and I had none. I relied on my gut.
I didn't feel safe in the tunnel and I don't feel safe in the tunnel I'm in right now. I know there's a big fork waiting for me at the other end too and my gut is working up the big choice. So Wendy, I hope you journey is a lot smoother than mine. At least I can enjoy seeing that!

wjnorbom said...

So anonymous, what are your choices? I am interested in what you perceive your choices to be. I think they have yet to be unveiled to you. Because I am trying to live in the present moment, I am trying to accept everything coming as a chit - or some small blessing that accumulated may help me find my ultimate direction. And this all takes time and analysis. Each new daybreak brings yet another series of quandaries that make for further aiding us is deciding what is best for ourselves and those whom we love. Of course, none of it is without fear and anxiety.
We will all get there eventually. It is in the cards and it is life. It is how we get there that is the scary part. One day at a time. Really. One breath. One moment. One second. One minute. And we have to be incredibly thankful for each. Blessings on your day dear one,.

Anonymous said...

Pointing you in the direction of my blog would make the choices all to easy to see, so let's not make it that obvious. What I find interesting is the people who have been travelling along with me, making all this noise, suddenly become shut out the closer I come to the end of the tunnel. The choice becomes mine. Truly mine. And I have to live with it. It is ominous and exhilarating. Waiting for you next blog entry...