Thursday, September 23, 2010

Seat 1C



Sitting in IC is one of the most enlightening experiences I have been privileged to experience this year. I have never, ever thought there was anything special about those people who have always sat rows ahead of me eating off of china plates with silverware. This morning, I was treated to just that – Chex cereal with yogurt, fruit and a croissant. All beautifully presented with my own drop down little video screen in front of me. Entertainment while you nosh.
Yes, the seats are very comfortable. There is a lot more leg room. More room to spread out and relax and once you plant your bottom, you feel like you are here to stay.
However, I hate it up here. I am the lone female among a pack of men with two flight attendants who are truly enjoying treating me like a juvenile. Of course, it is most likely because when I saw where I was sitting I was horrified. I said something a bit goofy like, “WOW – no wonder my ticket was outrageously expensive!” Not a great way to build friends fast with the staff.
So all of you out there, you’d think I won the lottery. But for several reasons I was extremely uncomfortable.
First of all, I was clear with Delta I would not sit in first class. So my initial reaction was shock and disbelief. Now I knew why I was being charged another $700.00 Perhaps this was the only seat left on the plane. However, I doubt it.
Second of all, the flight attendants behave as if they have never seen a woman before. Because the first class cabin is loaded with men – attractive young men – and I am a middle aged woman (I can only guess – however the attendants look 10 years older than me), they are  swooning about and acting like fools.  Total lack of professionalism. I understand  guys behaving this way when they get around women (I know that sounds sexist) but when I see women doing it, it just shows that all the work we have done to de-sexualize our work positions isn’t being taken that seriously because there are still some bimbos out there acting like they’re pushing a 50 IQ.  I mean – what’s with all the giggling and leaning into the face of people anyway? Seems like women set themselves up for a double standard. It’s not OK for guys to make sexual remarks in their own locker room at female reporters but it’s OK for women to sexually swoon in the first class cabin? Seems a bit inequitable to me.
Even the nice young Indian fellow next to me reacted to one attendant’s treatment of me. (He does keep praying and it makes me very nervous.) I was turning my iPhone off prior to take off and it wasn’t shutting down. So the attendant says, “I said turn it off now…. Please. And I mean now.” The fellow next to me told her to lay off. So she left. She bitched about my carry on which is a standard size. Then she bitched about my purse. They she had someone test my Mocha and my water (I am already cleared in security so this seemed ridiculous and I politely asked her if she was trying to frighten me). No answer. So I was being bullied I guess. Whatever. I kept a big smile on my face all the while feeling violated.
Thirdly, MY people are 10 rows back. I mean the real people. The ones that work hard like I do to earn a living.  Who didn’t get Chex cereal with china and silverware.
So it seems to me this experience mirrors life in so many ways. The poor are denied and the rich are spoiled to excess. And it just doesn’t feel good to me. My employer, who could own a jet if he wished, never flies first class. I am not sure if the reason is the same – I doubt it. It just seems flagrantly wasteful. And it really is.
For all you gossip seekers - there are a couple of professional basketball players and an actor who people keep coming to get an autograph from. I have no clue who the hell he is. And I wouldn’t ask because it would make me look even more like a fool, It is not only purposely disruptive up here, but filled with overblown egos and much too much testosterone for my liking.
So for all you out there – I think I’d recommend sticking to coach class. I hate to say it, but a friend of mine named Tom once said to me, “I don’t like to date outside of my social class. We’d simply have nothing in common, including our values.” And I think this has been a good lesson in that regard.
Well back to waiting for them to ask me for another free alcoholic beverage at 8 in the morning. What a life!
And the Indian fellow is praying again.  Take a breath Wendy.

No comments: