Thursday, September 30, 2010

touched by grace

Standing in the line at Albertson's Starbucks location. Talking on the phone to my best friend Barb. Laughing and giggling. I order my drink - grande decaf non-fat no-whip mocha. Slide my gold card. Opps!  Short $1.65. 
I'll be right back - I have it in the car. I dash out the door giggling with my friend on the phone. Come back quickly with my checkbook. I start to write.
"Don't worry about it. An angel fairy paid it."
I look behind me. Nicely dressed gentleman. He shakes his head. Not him. I look at the staff - Marci - not her. The clerk - nope - not him. I look beyond the racks. At the table sits the Hailey homeless man who's bicycle is parked outside with water jugs hanging from it.
He needs a shower. He needs to shave. He is disheveled.
And he is not the first person I looked to as that angel. And I am ashamed.
He smiles and says, "Yep. I am your angel fairy. And someday you can buy me a coffee."
And I reply, "I promise you I will. I absolutely will."
And then the tears. In that moment, Jesus moved through this man.
And I have been touched by the grace of God.

No comments: