Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Lots of Music



Anyone who knows me knows that music moves me. It is very primal for me - a form of instant therapy. When a performer takes a song well know as spectacular in it's original form and remakes it, I can be speculative. It almost feels like stolen art in a strange sort of way.
I heard this performed on Oprah in 2004. Wynonna Judd had just gone through exposing herself publicly about her weight and self esteem issues. The sad reality was that soon to come, in 2007, would be the story of the betrayal of her husband, then charged with sexual battery against a minor UNDER 13. He is an addict - alcoholic - and obviously used incredibly poor judgement, landing him in jail. All the while, her trust in the world crumbled around her. I love that her family witnessed her sing her heart out and continue to support her and outwardly show their love for her.
And she sung her heart out.
While this is a poor quality video, there simply isn't another that conveys her raw emotion singing this song. She purged and purged verbally and finally vocally. And I was touched by her honestly and vulnerability.

No comments: