Tuesday, October 5, 2010

smells like teen spirit



I gotta tell you that I do love this song. I can't tell you quite why - I think it is because it represents the music my parents hated to listen to when I was a kid - playing it endlessly. However, I think they were able to understand the lyrics, kind of.
What makes this sound so cool to me, is you can't understand a word Kurt Cobain is saying. Drunk or sober, none of it makes a lick of sense to me. I have read the lyrics. They are odd enough. I do like the albino mosquito part... the melody line is great. The song really does wrap itself around you in a rock and roll kind of way. A bit haunting and certainly a great teenage party song. I think the escalation of Kobain to where he sings hello endlessly and then starts screaming really speaks to the hormonal spurt teenagers go through  - this is a stretch because I don't know what the fuck I'm talking ahout - but that I WANNA GROW UP NOW kind of angst. Hello! Like we've all been there. And wanted to scream at our parents. Fools that they were. (Not really - just have heard to much Cobain over the last few days!)
Stupid and contageous. Here we now. Entertain us. Sounds like my kid!

No comments: