Friday, October 8, 2010

the power of love on a difficult road

Lately, I have been surrounded by the love of amazing friendships in my life and I have to say that this love has helped feed the empty bowl of confidence I have chosen to ignore for a long time. The love has come to hold me gently on some pretty dark days where I have felt the struggle is harder than the goals I had set out to achieve. And this love is real. It isn't something I take lightly or for granted.
You see, I advocate for something that isn't glamorous. For something people would rather sweep under the carpet. For a cause that affects over 55% of the population in total but no one wishes to talk about. And I am one of those people. I have generalized anxiety disorder, panic disorder, PTSD and at one time a dissociative disorder. All of these qualify me as someone with mental illness. But that is limiting. And I am not limited by labels. I simply have a physical disorder of the brain.
I am not ashamed to align myself with these fine, warm and loving people. They are all functioning as well as anyone who has to live with a difficult diagnosis. Because on some level, I believe that there isn't a soul walking this planet that doesn't at one time or another suffer from a physical disease of the brain. I can't even count how many of my friends have depression. Another very common mental illness.
To begin with, having a mental illness is certainly chronic and can be equal to any life altering physical challenge like diabetes or cancer. The fight is difficult, made even more so by ignorance, fear and stigma. When you have cancer, the sympathy dam breaks open and you are surrounded by compassion, love and support. Not so for someone who gets diagnosed with mental illness. In fact, it is one of the most frightening events a person can face in their lifetime. Because of the way we treat people who have it. And treatment it is often a series of drug hit and misses before one can feel like they are back to their old selves. So you had better have insurance because it is a long and expensive journey.
Movies about so called "crazy" people, Hollywood in general and the well documented lack of care given to those with mental illness in days gone by continues to do great disservice to all of the progress that has been made. Consequently, when people receive a diagnosis, it is cataclysmic because it illicits so much fear that people feel overwhelmed simply having to process the changes that may come to their lives. How will I be viewed? How will people treat me? It simply takes the energy needed to regain health and wellness and focuses it on what should be unimportant when really we should love each other despite our shortcomings.
Mental Illness is treatable. As a matter of fact, you probably know many people personally who have a mental health diagnosis - but they may never have shared it with you because of the stigma and fear of what YOU may think of THEM. I could easily compare it to coming out of the closet for someone who is gay. 
Such an unfair illness simply by name. But those with it don't want to be victims. They want to be treated with the same love and respect due any human being struggling to get through the day on this planet. So do yourself a favor, read up on it. Study it. Because it will occur in your family or maybe to you. Life isn't easy. And having to get through the day with the heaviness of this kind of diagnosis makes it harder.
So back to my friends. I admire them with all I am. I am in awe of their struggles and their desire to empower others back to wellness. They are strong and dedicated. And how blessed I am to be one of them in every way.

1 comment:

wjnorbom said...

Dear sweet Jill,
I am touched you thought to call me just now to tell me how much you are hurting. You are not a failure. You never have been. You are simply struggling with an illness that makes your like doubly hard.
So I will dedicate this post to you love. You are a very special woman and you are doing well in your road to recovery. If it gets really hard, please come home. We're here for you. Always.
xox