Thursday, October 7, 2010

for all of you who like gentle lullings to sleep.

Took the sleeping pill. Lit a candle. Said my prayers. Had a warm bath. Brushed my teeth. Took my hair down. Swallowed my vitamins. Turned the sleep button on my iNotes to low volume jazz. Checked my iPhone for any last messages. Turned the sound off. Anticipated the moment my naked body would hit the cold sheets. Hmmmm. I love cold sheets and a down comforter in a cold room. 
Crawled in. Slid my flannel pillow between my legs. Got comfortable.
I shut my eyes.


Gary barks at me, "so listen - what cable stations do you want from Cox?"


I reply, "I highlighted the channels that Kami and I watch. As long as those are included, we will be happy."


Gary shouts - "WELL YOU PICKED THE MOST EXPENSIVE GODDAMN CHANNELS ON THIER PLAN. AND THEN A DVR AND THEN THEY CHARGE BLAH BLAH BLAH FOR HOOK-UP. I CAN'T SEE HOW THIS IS CHEAPER THAN DIRECT TV. I KNOW YOU SAID THEY OFFER DEALS IF YOU SWITCH BUT I DON'T SEE ANY DEALS HERE. I KNOW IT IS EXACTLY WHAT WE ALREADY HAVE."


Now remember I have researched all of this already. I am simply asking him to complete a task.

"Well just let it go Gary. I will take care of it tomorrow, OK."


Gary shouts - "WHY IS IT YOU THINK I CAN NEVER DO ANYTHING. WHY DO YOU THINK I AM AN IDIOT? WHAT IS THE HELL IS THE MATTER WITH YOU?"


OK - This is really just a small example of what I endure every day here. I think this stroke has affected the rational part of his brain. He simply escalates for no reason. So I post this only so those of you who know him well can see the change in his behavior. I think I need to call the neurologist and get a scan. This isn't the Gary I have known for years. 


I know - you all know, I can be pretty stubborn and don't mix words. So I had to end the conversation before I left the house. The next would be me.


"GARY, NO ONE SAID YOU WERE STUPID. CAN YOU NOT SEE THAT I AM TRYING TO CALM MYSELF DOWN HERE TO TRY TO GO TO SLEEP? WHY NOW? AND STOP YELLING FOR CHRIST'S SAKE. YOU WANT ME TO MOVE OUT TO GET SOME SLEEP?"


Gary responds still yelling - 
"NO I DON'T WANT YOU TO MOVE OUT. IF YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT WHAT STATIONS I PICK THEN JUST GO TO SLEEP."


So I did. And so this is my life. Are all married couples like this? 
Oh - and I slept like a baby.

No comments: