Monday, June 1, 2009

Our Old Friend




As I write this post, our beloved best friend lays still on the softest bed we can find, slowly inhaling fresh air - her chest rising and falling rhythmically. She is comfortable and without pain however life for her is confined to this bed, which for this Siberian Husky must feel like prison.
This amazing dog was a special gift to my husband over 16 years ago. Gary always loved Huskies and I just happened about this 6 week old Albino Husky. No one wanted her because she didn't have that traditional Husky mask. However, she looked spirited and energetic to me and I somehow knew that she would fit in beautifully into our family.
And so came Mook - or more affectionately called Mookie. And what a gift her unconditional love has been for all of us. She lays here and looks around, alertly listening and being totally loved up. It truly feels like there is no adequate repayment for every moment of joy she has brought to our home and our hearts.
So I will honor her more later. Right now - it is all about being with her in this present moment. Soon we will say goodbye.

4 comments:

JAldrich said...

I'm really sorry to hear you are going through this tonight. Mookie knows you're there though and that's important. You all are in my thoughts.

Unknown said...

Wendy, I'm so sorry for your loss. It's hard to say goodbye to anyone that was an important part of your family.....You are a very special freind to Raye and her family. Thank you so much.
Sherri

wjnorbom said...

John - well - our vet cannot come until tomorrow. One of the disadvantages of being rural but she is so compassionate and exactly the right person to help us. Mook is very comfortable however it hurts to watch your best friend hurt. Meaning - not able to do anything. Thank you so much for caring. It really does hurt so much I can't even tell you.

wjnorbom said...

Sherri
WOW - how did you find me here? Thank you for acknowledging the love I have for my friend. We will all miss her terribly.
Raye is very special to me and her mother sounds like a strong, solid woman despite everything she has endured. I am willing to do whatever it takes for Raye to know that she is loved and not forgotten and for Gayla to know that she is supported throughout all that lies ahead. You are all so dedicated and advocate so well for her. I admire you.