Monday, November 4, 2013

the softest of landings

So I have been thinking a lot about where I've landed. And there's a comfort about it that I haven't felt in quite some time. The people that surround me have hearts of goodness, kindness and love. And honestly, it leaves me wondering how this came into my life. 
I never would have guessed that the people I work with would all care about me so much. It's almost strange because all I am being is myself. Usually in my work related positions, I have had to dance in circles to feel appreciated and cared for. Given all I can of myself and truthfully, almost felt resentful for the lack of appreciation that comes back my way. What is strange in this situation is that I began just fulfilling the role I was hired to complete. They were happy with that. And as time passed, they "loved my energy" and the "joyful, caring heart" and "laughter" I brought to the office. I was described by one as a light bulb of happiness that made people want to be there. Simple, sweet and sincere compliments that I didn't take too seriously.
Then, it felt like a brief moment in time, the owner swept through with personnel changes and brought me downstairs where he was. He brought in a younger woman to work with me and asked me to work full time. There was no doubt I needed the money so I accepted (reluctantly - I must admit). And there I was.
And then I heard, "I haven't loved coming to work this much in such a long time. Thank you." I still did not understand what made my presence worthy of these comments. It was all kindness. I continued to learn everything there was to be taught. Because it became important to me to see the people who seemed to care for me do well. And I knew I had the skills to improve things in my small way in the office. Things are getting better and better and better for them. And I am, in a small way, responsible for it.
They have given me cash to treat my family to dinner. They have given me gift cards to take my family to dinner. They are paying for extra health care so my family has dental, prescriptions, holistic health care - and it is all a gift. And I haven't asked for a raise, because I do the books and I know we aren't quite there yet for me to ask. The owners are not rolling in wealth. They are hard working and trying to get this business operating securely and for the long haul. So we are at the early stage and they see I have invested myself in their vision and understand it.
I have never laughed so heartily - like a true ab workout - as I do when we all are laughing. I am treated as a partner, not an employee. And today, I was told that I am loved. When I looked back at them, they said, "Now don't go home and think we are weird and all for saying this. It isn't the way some may think it is. What it is is that we do love you Wendy. We just do." And that was from no where. It was just because I am there, working hard for them and wishing from inside my heart that they will do well.
So am I lucky? I think so. I really do. Sometimes it isn't about the money you make. It's about the comfort you feel inside when you feel cared for and know that what you are doing means something to somebody. Yeah, I am really lucky.

No comments: