Saturday, December 4, 2010

love conquers all

Due to unfortunate circumstances that have occurred in my life over the past few weeks, I found myself launched and landing in a place of negativity that is counter my nature. I tend to be upbeat, positive and one who always sees the glass half full. Never half empty. I truly have been on a pity party. Feeling quite sorry for myself. Part of it is my anxiety. A larger part is the influence I have allowed others to have on me in hurtful ways because I have been unable to set clear boundaries. If I love you deeply, I will go to great lengths to solve any sort of issue that may separate us. I am not sure whether this is due to my need to be forgiven or understood, or because I hurt as deeply as the person I perceive I may have hurt. Other people, who may be passing through my life like dust in the wind, don't particularly matter so much but still retain the same power to take me to my knees. So I have decided to only concentrate on the relationships of those whom I love deeply. I am incredibly grateful someone has offered to allow me to delegate the rest.


But enough already. I need to pull up my socks and get on with the business of loving life and uplifting those I love dearly to love it too. Things may not come to us the way we want them and in the time we want them but ultimately there is a plan for us all. And it lies in the hands of God. But we are responsible for making His plan our reality. I can only do the best I can with what God has given me and hope that the message is ultimately conveyed.


Here is what I believe. Love conquers all. You simply cannot stop it. And it is what propels my every action.


Life Magazine was the final periodical to interview Michael Landon prior to his death in 1991. Even though the messages he conveyed through production in television spoke of strong family values, Michael himself was not a perfect man by any stretch.  He was also a child abused by his parents with a father and mother who did not love him. And somewhat self destructive in his behavior. 


Recently, prior to the article, he had been living under the cloud of an affair that brought him together with his current wife (10 years at this point) but made no excuses or apologies for it when asked. It was something I found quite compelling coming from someone who was in my eyes, the perfect television father and advocate for family values. When asked why he had left his long term marriage, he said simply, "I believe in God, family, truth between people and the power of love."  I wish I could find the exact quote about the power of love and I will eventually. But is was strong. It was clear. And he meant it. He was three weeks from death and it was only love that propelled him further. To create and to survive.  Clearly, it summed up who he was as a man and it is what I will hold of his legacy as his gift to me. Because in the end, our values were identical. 


Love conquers all. I believe in the power of love. Only a fool would pass it by. When it comes to you softly and touches your cheek, hold onto it tight. Plan ahead for the blessings it will bring you in your future. Because we only get one chance at this life and we need to grab on tight to love. As it comes. Wherever it comes from. It will hold our hand in life. It will hold our hand in death. It will understand our every fear. It will support us through our greatest travesties. It will laugh with us in moments of great joy. Love gives us hope for a better day. Love gives us the will to survive. Love strengthens our core. Love forgives and moves on. Love never punishes. Love never condemns. Love is patient and kind. Love gives us the ability to explore and understand the very depths of each other. Thank you God for the gift of love.


"Somebody should tell us, right at the start of our lives, that we are dying. Then we might live life to the limit, every minute of every day. Do it! I say. Whatever you want to do, do it now! There are only so many tomorrows."     Michael Landon


I dedicate this blog to Peter... I miss you terribly. And Michael's words were yours to me. I promise you, I heard you.



No comments: